Kelly McGonigal: How to make stress your friend
Source: TED: Ideas Worth Spreading • Kelly McGonigal • September 2013
Pearls of wisdom gleaned from Kelly McGonigal’s talk:
- Oxytocin is a stress hormone.
- When oxytocin is released in the stress response, it is motivating you to seek support.
- When life is difficult, your stress response wants you to be surrounded by people who care about you.
- When you change your mind about stress, you change your bodies response to stress.
- When you reach out to others under stress either to seek support or to help someone else, you release more of this hormone, your stress response becomes healthier and your recover faster from stress.
- Your stress response has a built-in mechanism for stress resilience and that mechanism is human connection.
- How you think and how you act can transform your experience of stress. When you choose to view your stress response as helpful, you create the biology of courage.
- When you choose to connect with others you can create resilience.
- When you choose to view stress this way…you are saying you can trust yourself to handle life’s challenges and you’re remembering that you don’t have to face them alone.
- Chasing meaning is better for your health than trying to avoid discomfort … Go after what it is that creates meaning in your life and trust yourself to handle the stress that follows.