Bodhi’s Banana Barley Muffins
by Artemisia & Bodhi Shine
- 8 tbsp. cold pressed organic coconut oil
- ¾ c. organic raw coconut palm sugar
- 4 tbsp. organic ground flax seeds (+ ¾ c. warm water) = 2 “eggs”
- 1 ¾ c. organic barley flour
- ¼ c. organic brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 1 – 2 tbsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- juice from ½ lemon
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ – 1 c. golden raisins
- 1 banana (overripe is best)
- Preheat Oven to 375ºF
- Mix 4 tbsp. ground flax with warm purified water to make “eggs” or binding agent.
- Cream coconut oil & sugar w/ “egg” mixture. Beat well. Mix in vanilla & lemon juice.
- Mash banana with a fork then add to wet ingredients.
- Sift flours, baking soda, salt & cinnamon together. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Once well mixed, fold in golden raisins.
- Mix well
- Pre-grease muffin tin w/ coconut oil & spoon in batter to the top of each tin.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until muffins are slightly golden brown and springy to the touch..
- Enjoy! Yum. 🙂
- Feel free to send Bodhi a pic of you devouring your masterpiece! email@example.com
Besides being bomb diggity,
why is this good for me?
Barley: has a rich nutlike flavor and is a great source of fiber and selenium, and a good source of phosphorus, copper and manganese.
- Dietary & Insoluble fiber: provides food for the “friendly” bacteria in the large intestines, lowers cholesterol and fights heart disease.
- Selenium: cooked barley provides 52% of the your daily value. Selenium is critical for cancer prevention, thyroid hormone metabolism and immune function.
Flax: helps the cardiovascular system, lowers cholesterol, reduces antioxidant stress on the body and supports cancer prevention. Flax is the best food source for Omega-3 fatty acids and lignins and is a very good source of mucilage (gum).
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids: “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
- Lignans: which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
- Mucilage (gum): water-soluble, gel-forming fiber coating on the flax seed. Mucilage supports the intestinal tract by improving nutrient absorption in the small intestines. The high gum content also makes flax a great egg-replacer!
Cold Pressed Organic Coconut Oil: helps combat candida and yeast in the body, reduces cholesterol, supports immune function, encourages weight loss & improves the digestive system.
Organic Palm Sugar: delicious deep rich carmel flavored natural sweetener from the nectar of coconut flowers. Coconut palm sugar is low on the glycemic index so it won’t spike your blood sugar like refined white sugar and its rich with minerals to boot!