♥ about artemisia shine
“It was neither preaching nor praying that made a better [wo]man of me, but one or two people who believed in me better than I deserved, and I hated to disappoint them.”
Who is Artemisia Shine?
That’s me! That’s me! I dance with the roles of Intuitive Healer, Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapist, Reiki Master, Counselor, Hatha Yoga Teacher, coyote medicine maker, and mother to a wild and wonderful spark of amazing named Bodhi Shine. I am a warm-hearted, inquisitive, passionate, earth loving yogi-tantrika living in San Luis Obispo County, California.
I LOVE helping people listen to and honor the longing and intelligence of their hearts. Most precious to me is being an ally for my clients as they reconnect with their innate body-wisdom and live in enthusiastic alignment with their soul-level desires. Watching them fall more in love with themselves is the icing on the cake.
Coyote is kin.
Words are magic.
Earth is mamma.
Mantra is living fire.
Ocean is remembrance.
Yoga is how I come back home.
I spend most of my time working one-on-one with people: holding their stories of pain, joy, reverie, trauma and wonder. My biggest job is to be a compassionate loving mirror. Nothing is more precious than the trust and revelation of another tender soul as they come home to themselves and actively seek to live a better story. My joy filled mission is to support the awakening of ever more sri (radiance, splendor and beauty) in the hearts of those who live in my community and far, far beyond! I live and breathe to unlock deep avenues of healing in my community and myself. My work on the planet is in service to creating a fuller expression of love and wonder within me and within you…
I worked with kids teaching Environmental Education for over 13 years and my favorite “super hero” is still Ranger Rick. My love of sharing nature inspired my studies in Natural Resources Interpretation and Recreation Administration at Humboldt State University. Even though I’ve set aside the Environmental Educator hat (for now…) I’ve joyfully retained my youthful sense of wonder.
I was invited to my first yoga class in 1998 held at a community center in Southern California. I knew nothing about yoga or yoga philosophy but delighted in how delicious my entire being felt after each practice. Eager to try out some of the poses at home, I was excited to discover I could easily relieve tension and discomfort in my body. I fell in love slowly and deeply – this is a lifetime engagement.
Back then I swapped homemade recycled paper pressed with wildflower seeds in exchange for each class. Over the years, I’ve cleaned studios, worked front desks and shared skills in trade for yoga classes. I strongly believe in reciprocity and am equally ardent that yoga be accessible for all.
Yoga has helped me navigate life’s more perilous occasions with some semblance of grace. Lest I forget it, my son likes to remind me that I am “a lot more fun to be around” when I am living my yoga. Yoga has helped me to breathe and observe what is happening inside my body. I am grateful for the peace of mind and presence this cultivates. My practice on and off the mat challenges me in ways my soul desperately needs and continues to help reveal that which is not me. I go within to witness the sensual, alive, passionate pulse of love that I am.
Being human is a joyful and intrepid adventure! Yoga helps actualize the love I have within to shine more fully each day.
I am forever indebted to my many teachers who have supported me on this path, including: Chrisandra Fox Walker, Katie Silcox, Darren Main, Pete Guinosso, Peggy Profant, Jeremy Simon, Dina Amsterdam, Jehfree Spirit, Jodi Komitor, Maya Cooper, and Karen Harris.
In my free time I can be found snuggling up my son and friends, preparing delicious raw and cooked vegan food, wandering barefoot, drinking excessive amounts of herbal tea, meditating, playing with AcroYoga, enthusiastically writing in the margins of incredible books, falling madly in love with banana slugs found on trail, and laying naked by wild rivers soaking up the radiance of the sun.
Training & Education
Intuitive Healing & Counseling:
- 110+ hr. workshops & trainings in Non-Violent Communication from 2004 – 2010 thru Center for Non-Violent Communication w/ Dr. Marshall B. Rosenberg & others
- 125+ hr. one-on-one energy work, intuitive counseling, intuitive reading & hands-on-healing mentorship w/ Maya Cooper of Isis Osiris Healing Temple. Sunny Brea, CA
- 625+ hr. Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy Practitioner Certification (+ 9 months of mentor supervised client sessions) training in metaphysical and physical aspects of assisted postures, transformational bodywork, therapeutic dialogue techniques, coaching, professional ethics & boundaries. Richmond, B.C. CANADA & Bristol, VT
- 660+ hr. (ongoing) training & counseling hours thru Interchange Counseling Institute Counseling Certification. San Francisco, CA
- TRE® Module 1 Certification Training (Tension & Trauma Release Exercise.) Los Angeles, CA
- 2016/17 Leadership Team: Group Ally – Interchange Counseling Institute. San Francisco, CA
Energy Work – Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki:
- Shoden Level I: w/ Erris Morn McCullough. Arcata, CA
- Okuden Level II: w/ Anna Dorian of Vibrant Reiki. San Francisco, CA
- Shinpiden Reiki Master Level: w/ Denise Payne-Ollivier. Arcata, CA
- Shinpiden Reiki Master Level: w/ Anna Dorian of Vibrant Reiki. San Francisco, CA
- 200 hr. Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Certification – Yoga Tree. San Francisco, CA
- 200 hr. Anusara Yoga Teacher Training Certification – Om Shala Yoga. Arcata, CA
- 130+ hr. of Tantra Yoga Teacher Training in the Sri Vidya Lineage of Tantra Yoga w/ Chrisandra Fox Walker & Katie Silcox – senior students of Yogarupa Rod Stryker
- 200+ hr. advanced trainings in Therapeutic Partner Yoga, Yoga Anatomy, & Philosophy
Artemisia Shine holds a 200 hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Certification from both Yoga Tree in San Francisco, CA, and Om Shala Yoga in Arcata, CA and is a certified Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy Practitioner. Artemisia has been joyfully privileged to receive Next Generation Yoga Teacher Training Certifications for both 2-7 year olds, and 8-13 year olds under the inspired tutelage of Jodi Komitor. Additionally, she holds an Every Kid’s Yoga Teacher Certification for Children with Special Needs. Artemisia aligns herself with the Sri Vidya lineage of Tantra Yoga as shared with her through her teachers Chrisandra Fox Walker and Katie Silcox as well as Yogarupa Rod Stryker.
i want to be like a california coastal live oak,
strong, adaptable, made to handle intense heat, able to live – in fact thrive – when hollowed out completely by lightning strike or fire
i want to be like an oak,
transforming cavities into nesting ground for downy owlets, baby raccoons and more… offering habitat and food for hosts of woodland dwellers
i want to be like an oak,
thick waxy leaves reflecting the radiant sunlight, maintaining moisture from within, solid roots providing stability for the soil, drawing nutrients and water from the energetic depths of mamma earth.